Planning For Emergencies
- Emergency management (NSW Department of Primary Industries). This page contains useful information to prepare for, and recover from, emergencies including bushfires, floods & storms, locusts and biosecurity emergencies. There are emergency hotline numbers to report emergencies or request support, and an online survey to record damage to your property or animals from natural disasters. View here.
- Home emergency plan (NSW State Emergency Service). This online planning kit steps you through the process of making an emergency plan to prepare for a storm or flood. Your plan can be downloaded when you’ve completed it, to keep as a reference. View here.
- Farm safety (SafeWork NSW). This website contains the “A-Z Farm Safety Guide” to help landholders identify the main elements of risk on a farm, and what you can do to make improvements. Another useful resource is the “Farm Safety Self-Assessment”, a tool to help landholders identify what you are doing well and where you need to improve. View here.
- Animal emergency plan (NSW State Emergency Service). This page contains information about planning what to do with your animals in the event of an emergency. There are sections on planning for pets and small animals, as well as planning for horses and livestock. The page also covers caring for wildlife in an emergency. View here.
- Bush fire survival plan (NSW Rural Fire Service). This guide walks you through the steps of getting ready for a bush fire, covering: Discuss what to do if a bush fire threatens your home; Prepare your home and get it ready for bush fire season; Know the bush fire alert levels; and Keep all the bush fire information numbers, websites and app details so that you can stay up to date on conditions in your area. 15 pages. Download here.
- Farm fire plan (NSW Rural Fire Service). This simple guide takes you through the four key steps: Prepare your property & take action; discuss; know the conditions; and keep up to date. The guide is designed to be worked through before the fire season, filling out the relevant sections with your choices and plans, and kept as a handy guide. 19 pages. Download here.
- Guide to farm firewise (NSW Rural Fire Service). This guide includes a detailed checklist and action plan, to help you prepare your family and your farm for the bush fire season. There is additional information available on the Rural Fire Service website here. 28 pages. Download here.
- Preparing for bushfires (Murrumbidgee Landcare). This collection of resources includes some useful contacts, and a one-page checklist of the key actions to undertake before, during and after a bushfire emergency (click here for an editable version of the checklist). 2 pages. Download here.
- Farm flood readiness kit (NSW Local Land Services). This kit has been designed to support landholders in preparing for, responding to and recovering from floods. The kit steps you through the process of developing a flood plan and making your property flood-ready. Features include a flood readiness checklist, flood plan template, and details on how to access emergency information such as BOM and SES warnings. 24 pages. Download here.